LUDWIG vs. PEARL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ludwigdrummer13
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - October 17 2009 :  8:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your opinion between the two? Just curious!

MisterMarimba
Advanced Member

USA
2078 Posts

Posted - October 17 2009 :  10:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer Pearl. But all of the big companies have good stuff and cheap stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Elijah Rain
Hippie Child

367 Posts

Posted - October 17 2009 :  11:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elijah Rain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pearl. I had a bad experience with ludwig equipment from my first kit. picture 15 y/o drums with no equipment or mutes.

The difference between dying in a stupid way and dying naturally is whether or not you're trying to get on youtube.
Go to Top of Page

BAMF
mr. mediocre himself

2762 Posts

Posted - October 29 2009 :  4:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit BAMF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ludwig. can't ever go wrong with a supraphonic.
Go to Top of Page

littldrummaboy7

New Zealand
60 Posts

Posted - November 03 2009 :  4:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hard q. i have a pearl kit at the moment but have played on a ludwig. they are very nice. i like the 70's ludwig snare. it has a deep sound which is amazing live, the older made kits are the key. though they hav gud technology now ,the old kits have a certain sound about them. definatly ludwig

raw
Go to Top of Page

Elijah Rain
Hippie Child

367 Posts

Posted - November 03 2009 :  6:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elijah Rain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BTW Drumma Boy, welcome to the forum.

The difference between dying in a stupid way and dying naturally is whether or not you're trying to get on youtube.
Go to Top of Page

littldrummaboy7

New Zealand
60 Posts

Posted - November 21 2009 :  02:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks man its a great thing, lwking 4ward to learnin heapz more stuff here

raw
Go to Top of Page

bathroomsurgeryrecords
Advanced Member

Canada
2957 Posts

Posted - November 21 2009 :  9:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit bathroomsurgeryrecords's Homepage  Click to see bathroomsurgeryrecords's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ludwig by far.

No offense to Pearl, but there is nothing classic about Pearl drums. It's all made overseas. Decent enough quality stuff, don't get me wrong, but there's just nothing impressive about Pearl drums in my opinion.

Ludwig drums are absolutely CLASSIC American drums.
Go to Top of Page

geezerdrummer56@yahoo.com

USA
53 Posts

Posted - November 22 2009 :  11:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ludwig has drums and hardware made in china.i had a set of china made ludwigs for 2 days. they started to fall apart.
Go to Top of Page

littldrummaboy7

New Zealand
60 Posts

Posted - November 23 2009 :  03:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea but so is most equipment made in China. have you played a classic one, they are much better. huge hardware, thick shells. can't beat the older kits

exactly the same with pearl. their new stuff is pretty good but i prefer the older kits. i have my dads old fibreglass pearl from the 70's, that has an alryt sound though i am not a huge fan of the firbeglass. it does the job though ae!

my old drum teacher has a nice ol' luddi from the 70's. its AMAZING. just the crack in the snare does it for me, with the nyc un muffled short ring that follows. that along with beautiful zidjian cymbals, crisp hats. ohhh, dream kit!!!!

raw
Go to Top of Page

Elijah Rain
Hippie Child

367 Posts

Posted - November 23 2009 :  9:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elijah Rain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bro, EVERYTHING is made in china. Just because it has an american flag doesn't mean that it was made in the U.S.

Go to Top of Page

bathroomsurgeryrecords
Advanced Member

Canada
2957 Posts

Posted - November 26 2009 :  12:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit bathroomsurgeryrecords's Homepage  Click to see bathroomsurgeryrecords's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not the case at all. Ludwig may have entry level/mid level lines made in China - quite frankly I don't care about entry/mid level kits.

I'm talking about their professional lines. Pearl's are all made in Taiwan or wherever.

And to say everything is made in China is funny. Everything sh*tty maybe...
Go to Top of Page

Elijah Rain
Hippie Child

367 Posts

Posted - November 27 2009 :  09:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Elijah Rain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i atually got an email from a friend recently that has a list of brands that are made in the USA. IDK if there's drum stuff in there, but I'll post the link when I find it.

Go to Top of Page

bathroomsurgeryrecords
Advanced Member

Canada
2957 Posts

Posted - November 29 2009 :  7:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit bathroomsurgeryrecords's Homepage  Click to see bathroomsurgeryrecords's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lots of good drums are made in the USA.
Go to Top of Page

Elijah Rain
Hippie Child

367 Posts

Posted - November 29 2009 :  9:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elijah Rain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ya, I just found the link I was telling you guys about: madeinusa.org This is maid for those who are anti-sweatshop.

Go to Top of Page

bathroomsurgeryrecords
Advanced Member

Canada
2957 Posts

Posted - November 29 2009 :  9:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit bathroomsurgeryrecords's Homepage  Click to see bathroomsurgeryrecords's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dead link. Being anti-sweatshop is a whole other conversation. I'm just saying, if you're getting professional drums, make sure they're made in the USA.

Speaking of the classic beauty of Ludwigs, there is a great Fab 4 Classic Maple kit available for about $2400 these days. Beatles throwback configuration. Absolutely classic, I may have to get a set of these.
Go to Top of Page

Elijah Rain
Hippie Child

367 Posts

Posted - November 30 2009 :  12:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elijah Rain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats pretty legit, idk why the link didn't work for you. It worked when i clicked it

Go to Top of Page

dbdrumsbass

USA
441 Posts

Posted - November 30 2009 :  5:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elijah, you forgot the "www" in front of that link. I assume that http://www.madeinusa.org/ is the link you were referring to?

I have only owned Pearl hardware, never owned a Pearl kit or a Pearl snare. I have owned a Ludwig kit from back in the 70s and it had a ton o' mojo. Too bad I sold it (if I had a dollar for every time I have said that), but I was a young man who bought them used and turned around and sold them to upgrade. Anyway, I also cannot say enough about my Ludwig Black Beauty snare. Speaking of that snare, I do need to replace the snares. The 3rd snare officially broke off last weekend at a rehearsal...I need to order a new set of snares for it so it'll be back to tip-top.

Danny "dB" Berton
www.dannyberton.com

DW "Collectors Series" maple kit with MAY internal mic system
DW 9000-series Hardware
Zildjian Hats/Crashes/Ride ; Dream Chinas
Vater "Power 5A" sticks
Roc-n-Soc drum throne
SKB cases
Go to Top of Page

Elijah Rain
Hippie Child

367 Posts

Posted - November 30 2009 :  7:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elijah Rain's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes it was, thanks. Sorry to hear about your snare. I need to get a new snare pretty soon, too.

Go to Top of Page

drumbum18

USA
61 Posts

Posted - July 28 2010 :  11:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ludwigdrummer13

What is your opinion between the two? Just curious!

there both pretty good but my band instructor has a pearl set and i hate it my drum teacher has a ludwig set and i love it
Go to Top of Page

Beatle Drummer

USA
218 Posts

Posted - July 29 2010 :  09:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't think I'm saying this just because of my name, but Ludwig. All of the Ludwigs I have played on (and the one I have now) have sounded great and are built to last. I like Pearl but not as much as Ludwig. But let us not forget about Premier! They make really good drums and sound great. They are also classics.

www.ludwig-drums.com
www.premier-percussion.com
www.pearldrum.com
www.dwdrums.com
www.zildjian.com
www.sabian.com
www.remo.com
www.evansdrumheads.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly